Thank you for an amazing Mentor Training this summer!
Our next Mentor Training is scheduled for January 27th and 28th, 2018.
Please click here to register (you will be redirected to Eventbrite).
For volunteers, we have limited scholarships available. To apply, please fill out a Scholarship Application by clicking here.
At the Mentor Training, you will:
- Understand the significance, scope, and limits of your role as mentor
- Develop the skills and attitudes you need to work effectively as a group or individual youth mentor
- Reflect upon your own experiences as a youth, teenager, and youth adult
- Practice deep listening and relationship-building techniques
- Practice a model of communication useful in conflict resolution
- Understand the process of creating a safe youth mentoring circle, including the importance of establishing group guidelines
- Practice leading small- and large-group activities in preparation for circle mentoring
- Build understanding of the needs and qualities of various ages, and learn how adults can best support youth at each age
- Learn to set appropriate boundaries with your mentees and their families
- Gain greater understanding of child sexual abuse and Mandatory Reporting guidelines for all adults who work with youth in the state of Oregon
- Learn from the successes and challenges that experienced mentors have faced
- Understand The Rose Circle’s program requirements and support services offered to our mentors
- Receive answers to your questions about the mentoring experience
- Build confidence as you prepare to start working as a mentor—in a circle or in a one-on-one mentoring relationship
- Volunteer commitment is not required for participation.